Which Natural Mood Stabilizers Are Best For You? – Top 5 Naturally Occurring Mood Stabilizers
What Are Natural Mood Stabilizers?
The term ‘mood stabilizer’ is often misused and misunderstood. It was originally coined by the US Federal Drug Administration (FDA) to describe prescription treatments for bi-polar disorder. However in the rest of the world the term ‘mood stabilizer’ is used to describe a wide range of natural mood enhancing supplements and/or depression supplements containing only naturally occurring amino acids and herbs not requiring a doctor’s prescription.
The result is a marketplace full of mood stabilizers, both pharmaceutical and natural that deliver very different outcomes depending on their ingredients. This can leave people looking for ways to improve their mood blinded by choice and uncertain what might be the best for them. All this in a time when the need for mood stabilizers has never been greater.
According to a recent report, since the fall of Lehman’s in 2008, as financial uncertainty and debt has increased so has the incidence of stress-related illness, depression and anxiety. Surprisingly over this same period there has been a fall in the use of doctor prescribed anti-depressants and SSRI’s. Pharmaceutical mood stabilizers can be very effective for many people but, like most drugs, they often come with a raft of unwelcome side effects. The use of natural brain supplements, natural mood stabilizers and natural depression supplements on the other hand has been increasing.
Which Naturally Occurring Mood Stabilizer Is Best?
But which natural mood stabilizer is best? When selecting the most appropriate natural mood supplement, it is important to consider which are the most effective naturally occurring amino acids and vitamins that support a healthy, calm mind.
Some mood stabilizers support a healthy neurotransmitter balance while others deliver the additional benefit of calming the mind. Neurotransmitters are essential brain messengers that regulate mood and protect memory. Natural mood stabilizers can positively influence the activity of these neurotransmitters smoothing out mild to moderate mood changes and relieving depression and anxiety caused by everyday stress.
All natural mood stabilizers should deliver a wide range of benefits in order to be truly useful over the long term. Try to choose a mood stabilizer that delivers not only healthy neurotransmitter activity but also a calming of the mind. Outlined below are most effective natural amino acids, minerals and mood supporting herbs commonly used in mood stabilizer supplements, all of which have been shown to be helpful through research or anecdotal reporting over the past two decades:
Top 5 Naturally Occurring Mood Stabilizers
1. L-Tryptophan is an essential amino acid found in the many natural mood stabilizers which has been shown to significantly improve neurotransmitter activity. L-Tryptophan is used by the body primarily to make serotonin, one of the most important regulators of mood in the brain. Serotonin can help ease symptoms of anxiety and depression by acting as a powerful but natural mood stabilizer.
2. 5-HTP is another naturally occurring amino acid which the body converts to both serotonin and melatonin. In addition to delivering efficient neurotransmitter activity, it enhances the functioning of the central nervous system and can help regulate sleep cycles, resulting in peaceful more restful sleep.
3. Chamomile – tea from chamomile flowers has been used for centuries as a gentle sleep aid. Recent research however has shown that chamomile has direct effects on the central nervous system, specifically the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine which is crucial to the regulation of mood and anxiety.
4. Lemon Balm – a member of the Mint family is another traditional herbal remedy for promoting sleep and reducing anxiety. Extract of Lemon Balm has been shown to improve mood and improve mental performance. In addition it has marked antioxidant properties, reducing the inflammation which is increasingly being linked to mood disorders.
5. Magnesium – this natural mineral plays an important role in regulating central nervous system excitability. Even a mild deficiency in magnesium can lead to increased levels of anxiety. Natural mineral levels in food, particularly in fruit and vegetables are in decline. Less than 50% of US adults reach the current requirement for magnesium from diet alone.
Who Should Use Natural Mood Stabilizers?
The stresses and emotional strains of everyday life can take their toll on any of us from time to time. But over time, without a strategy in place to deal with stress this kind of pressure can erode confidence and exacerbate anxiety and depression. Natural mood stabilizers can help by alleviating the severity of everyday stress responses, restoring a greater equilibrium to mood and increasing feelings of well-being. All over the world hundreds of thousands of people are gaining very real benefits from using natural mood stabilizers and depression supplements daily. Many are finding these supplements a viable alternative to prescription medications without any of the unpleasant side effects.
All the naturally occurring mood stabilizers in our top 5 list can be found individually in any good health food store. They can also be found in our award winning BrainSmart Mood supplement, specially formulated to provide just the right balance of amino acids, minerals and herbs to maximise their effectiveness. Why not give BrainSmart Mood a try today?
Natural Mood Stabilizers of the Year 2013 and 2014
Award Winning Natural Remedies For Depression
L- Tryptophan | 5-HTP | Chamomile | Lemon Balm & Magnesium
Relieve Feelings of Depression, Stress, Anxiety Or Panic
*SPECIAL OFFER – FREE 1 WHEN YOU BUY 2*
About the Author
Sam Jansen is a leading brain scientist, lawyer and author, studying neuroscience, social behaviors and the science of happiness. You can find him at Google+