Top 4 Focus Supplements To Improve Concentration Naturally
There has been a significant rise in the past decade or so of the use of natural focus and concentration booster supplements to improve an individuals ability to stay alert for longer periods of time.Typically individuals who have taken or are taking these kinds of natural brain supplements for concentration report that they feel significantly more focused as their attention span increases.
Focus supplements and other common natural supplements for improving concentration and attention span support brain activity and increase mental energy but do not act as stimulants in the traditional sense.
Focus booster supplements will have a number of different types of brain booster vitamins and brain enhancing amino acids in them. These vitamins and amino acids work together as a catalyst for increasing neurotransmitter activity which in turn improves concentration span and memory recall.
Since most of the more effective brain supplements for improving concentration have a set of several natural focus booster vitamins in them , it is difficult to ascertain which of them is the most active focus booster or whether it’s the combination of many of them that are producing the overall result.
This article digests existing research and highlights 4 of the most effective focus and concentration boosting ingredients to look for when considering using a natural supplement to improve your attention span.
Focus Supplements and the Top 4 Most Effective Ingredients to Look for
1. Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR)
Other Names :
Acetil-L-Carnitina, Acetyl Carnitine, Acétyl Carnitine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Acétyl-L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate Dihydrochloride, Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate HCl, Acétyl-L-Carnitine Arginate HCl, Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl, Acétyl-L-Carnitine HCl, Acetyl L-Carnitine Hydrochloride, Acetyl Carnitine, Acétyl-Carnitine, Acetyl-Levocarnitine, Acétyl-Lévocarnitine, ALC, Alcar, Carnitine Acetyl Ester, Dihydrochlorure d’Acétyl-L-Carnitine Arginate, Gamma-Trimethyl-Beta-Acetylbutyrobetaine, L-Acetylcarnitine, L-Acétylcarnitine, Levacecarnine, N-Acetyl-Carnitine, N-Acétyl-Carnitine, N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine, N-Acétyl-L-Carnitine, ST-200, Vitamin B(t) Acetate, 2-(acetyloxy)-3-carboxy-N,N,N-trimethyl-1-propanaminium inner salt, (3-carboxy-2-hydroxy-propyl)trimethylammonium hydroxide inner salt acetate
A powerful and effective brain booster that has grown in popularity over the past decade or so Acetyl-L-Carnitine is a very well researched amino acid that is found in a few of the most effective focus and concentration supplements. It works as a brain booster by helping maintain the health and functionality of brain cells, one recent study found that people with early signs of dementia and mild memory impairment benefited from low to medium doses of Acetyl-L-Carnitine over a relatively short period of time.
Anecdotal evidence backs up the clinical studies and demonstrates that Acetyl L Carnitine does improve concentration and mental focus very quickly. With many individuals experiencing a positive effect within two hours of taking it .It is an effective brain booster because it works to make one more motivated, with an ability to concentrate better and get things done faster.
Effective For :
- Reduces age related memory loss in older adults.Acetyl-L-Carnitine is widely used in Europe to treat Altzheimer’s and other memory loss related diseases.
- Improving concentration : Recent European studies show that regular use of ALCAR increased concentration memory in adults ages 25-70 and whose use of technology has decreased attention span over time
- Studies show ALCAR is very effective in Increasing blood flow to the brain. Taking just a small dose of Acetyl-L-Carnitine has shown exponential improvements in blood flow in the brains of people who have poor blood concentration and attention span.
- For treating Alzheimer’s disease: 1.5 G-4.0 G per day typically divided into two or three doses during the day.
- For treating age-related memory loss: 1.5 G-2 G per day.
- For depression and mood enhancement : 1.5 G-3 G per day in divided doses.
- For improving Attention Span and Concentration: 2 G per day in divided doses
2. Ginkgo Biloba
A lot of recent research has focused on natural focus booster herbs like Gingko Biloba, the leaf of the ginkgo tree, which is native to China and one of the oldest plants in the world.
Ginkgo operates as a focus booster by improving oxygen flow to the brain. The brain needs oxygen to operate at its optimum best, so it’s possible that even a slight lack of circulation can affect its performance.
A recent article published by The University of Maryland (see References & Sources Used) cites that Ginkgo Biloba is often termed as an effective natural ‘brain herb’ and recent research studies both in the US and in Europe have found the regular use of Ginkgo Biloba as part of a healthy diet and regular exercise can help improve overall memory recall and brain reaction performance in healthy individuals,
Effective For :
- Improving concentration and attention span in older adults : Studies show that taking ginkgo leaf extract significantly improves the attention span and ability to concentrate in elderly people with mild to moderate age-related memory loss or thinking problems.
- The regular use of Ginkgo leaf extract has been shown to improve short-term visual memory and speed of mental processing in individuals suffering from memory loss.
- Improving concentration and attention span in young people. Taking relatively small doses of ginkgo on a regular basis has been shown to improve some thinking skills in young to middle aged individuals. Ginkgo has been shown to significantly improve memory recall and speed of mental processing in individuals who show no signs of memory loss.
Recommended Dosage :
- Treating memory loss : a dosage of 1.2 G – 2.4 G daily of ginkgo leaf extract, divided in two or three doses over the course of the day.
- For improving overall brain function in healthy young people: A daily dose of between 120-600 mg .
- For improving concentration and attention span: A daily dose of 360 MG divided across the day .
3. Huperzine A
Huperzine-A is another focus booster that has been studied as a potential treatment for dementia. It may also work as an effective brain booster in healthy people and as a result Huperzine-A is found in many of the more effective supplements for brain improvement.
Huperzine-A appears to block an enzyme in the brain that breaks down acetylcholine, an essential neurotransmitter (the brains chemical messengers}. Acetylcholine carries information across synapses, the space between brain cells. Huperzine appears to facilitate more acetylcholine in the brain which in turn impacts positively on the brains ability to retain information for longer periods of time.
Effective For :
- Boosting memory performance , brain function, and mental energy in individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or senile dementia. Recent Swiss research showed increased memory and thinking skills among individuals with Alzheimer’s disease after just 2 months of use.
- Increasing concentration and attention span in healthy adults. A recent Chinese study demonstrated that Huperzine A significantly improved the memory of university students with a history of shortened attention spans.
- For treating the onset of Alzheimer’s disease and other symptoms of declining brain function : 50 Mcg -200 Mcg two times a day.
- For treating declining memory performance and memory loss: 30 Mcg taken 2 times a day.
- For improving concentration and attention span: 200 Mcg per day split into two doses during the 24 hour period.
4. Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE)
DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol) has been shown to positively effect the brains acetylcholine levels and is another natural brain booster that many cognitive experts believe to be effective and is not just based on anecdotal evidence alone. Many users report that only after an hour or two of taking DMAE that they’re thinking much quicker and are able to sustain focus and concentration for longer periods of time.
What is clear is that in addition to existing clinical research into the efficacy of ingredients found in many widely used brain supplements and focus booster formulas there is also a vast amount of anecdotal evidence that demonstrate that the 4 key ingredients outlined above help to improve concentration and memory if taken consistently over time. The key is to research your options carefully and see which brain booster supplements for brain improvement works for you.
About the Author
Sam Jansen is a leading brain scientist, lawyer and author, studying neuroscience, social behaviors and the science of happiness.You can find him at Google+